Wednesday 7 March 2012

Q2) how does your media product represent particular social group?


My music magazine is a made to target a teenage to young adult audience (both male and female) who are avid and engaged with funky, hip hop, and r'n'b culture. I made my magazine quite open, in order of doing that i intend on attracting a wider audience. i represented this particular social group through the images and text used in my music magazine. Firstly, my models on the front cover represents a particular genre of music for the targeted audience. ethnic minority

One way in which funky is represented is through there make up; they both have heavily bright rainbow colours. this represents bright extravagant colours as 'funky' is highly represented as colourful.

The second way in which hip hop and funky are represented is through their clothes, and their posture; their clothes are a mixture of casual and outgoing clothes. The base ball jacket represents a masculine look how ever it represent hip hop as its what dancers wear during a dance. On the other hand, the other model is wearing a bright yellow jumper and a colourful body con skirt. this represents funky as there is a variety of clashing of colours. This can relate to both audience (male and female).

another way in which my magazine represents r'n'b is through the use of language. i decided to make my magazine quite formal English as i am targeting the ethnic minority.

The style of the masthead is a style of graffiti. this contributes towards hip hop culture as there alot of graffiti style associated with hip hop.This also gives an informal looks towards my magazine as the language used in my magazine is quite formal.


both heads are tilting back towards each other in a relaxed way. This can contribute to the genre of music as they are not portrayed as violent and aggressive like "rock", but it can be argued that r'n'b are known to be quite aggressive. I decided not to include the 'gaze thoery' as my targeted audience are for both male and females. I feel that through the front cover image the targeted audience would be 'encoded' as the photo is quite revealing in terms of style of dressing towards the genre.


The mast head uses a colloquial language known as "slang" terminology (SWAGG). The meaning of "swagg" means appearance ,style ,or the way he or she presents them selves. Swag is made up of your overall confidence, style, and demeanor. Swag can also be expanded to be the reputation of your overall swagger.
I purposely used the word 'swag' as i am aware that my target audience are familiar with that terminology. Also through audience research i realised that the majority of response was in colloquial language. my age range is from 16-25

Although my models are black, i still intend on targeting Caucasians as well and other ethnic backgrounds, a technique i used is through formal and standard English as i am aware that all ethnics can understand the use of language.

No comments:

Post a Comment