Wednesday 7 March 2012

1)In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?

Q1) In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?

i first started analysing different existing, mainstream front cover music magazines, so i am aware and knowledgeable on the conventions used. as i intended on making my music magazine look more professional and in comparison to other music magazines. I had narrowed down my choices of music so it can fit in a specific genre, as i am targeting a specific audience of my choice.  In doing this i had to strictly follow some conventions of a music magazine that are the same genre as mine. There are many ways in which my magazine challenges and imitates forms of a real music magazine convention. One of the most common/ basic convention that i choose to follow is a "Big Mast Head" spread across the top of my magazine; i downloaded a particular font from "dafont.com" to do this. By doing this my intentions was to make my magazine look distinctive, this will enable my targeted audience to be more attracted as it very dominating, bold and will stand out amongst other magazines. i also choose this font as a mast head as it could symbolise Independence as each letters are quite apart as i used the font San serif. To adapt it i added a thick border lining around each text and added a drop shadow and a ....Another recognisable convention i decided not to use is placing the mast head behind the object, but instead i placed my masthead above the object; as i wanted both the mast head and object to stand out as individual objects. My mast head looks quite informal as it has a graphite look to it.





i decided to challenge a popular convention from Q music magazine, as the main image of this magazine consist of a medium close up. However i have intentionally used a medium long shot. the contrast between my magazine and the Q magazine is that my magazine obtain of bright bold colours whereas the q magazine is quite dull and is very consistent with the colours as it lacks a variety of different colours. I added a colourful rainbow effect eye shadow as i do not intend on sticking to a specific colour scheme. I intentionally used bright colours as it falls in the genre of funky as well as hip hop/ r'n'b; the colours are also controversial, for both genders (male and females). my models are posing in a quite relaxed way; through this, it should make the audience feel more layed back a relaxed.





- i intended on including this image, but i had to think in debt about it and decided if it was really relevant as it is displayed on my models already (front cover).


in order to fully attract my targeted audience; i had to use cover lines (most specific- interesting ones) this is another convention generally used in music magazines. As the purpose of headlines is to give an insight into what will be featured in the magazine. this also could attract audiences as it is quite short and straight to the point, likewise eye catching. Depending on the font and colour. I stayed consistent with  my fonts and sizes except for the main cover line as it is the feature of the magazine. I decided to give it a bold and unique font from "dafont.com" and adjusted it by including different effects such as a drop shadow, bevel and emboss etc. The main image and main cover line acts as the main selling point of the magazine as it stands out from the rest i carefully analysed different magazines and realised that they left approximately 1cm margin blank on each edges of the magazine. So no text is cut also to Aline each headlinei used the gride on photoshop to help me.





a magazine selling line is another convention that i included in my magazine. A selling line acts in a way to promote the magazine. my magazine is a twist between funky/hip hop and r'n'b. my selling line is another from of N.V.C (non-verbal communicaion), in which it still can effectively engage and communicate with the targeted audience. i quote my selling line as an 'inspiring  quote' "believe in the unexpected...". It could be argued that my main cover line is more like a slogan as it is quite longer than usual selling line also it is circulating more to the main cover not the actually promoting the actual magazine. Also selling lines are usually at the top next to the masthead but mine one is below the main cover.



In order to follow the conventions of a music magazine. I attached a bar code, price and issue date so the audience are aware of the price and date of my magazine. i included a bar code as not all magazine have bar code as some magazines may be free of charge. i decided not to place the bar code at the bottom, but place it at the top corner approximately 2cm below the masthead, as i was following the structure of the "Q" magazine.






my contents page followed and developed conventions used in real life magazines, such as the "L" structure. i included images and labelled them with numbers as a visual way to give the audience an idea of what is inside my magazine. likewise the purpose of the contents page is to give the targeted audience an insight of the issues that will be discussed in the magazine.






similarly, my double page spread follows and develops conventions. i toned down the colours and stuck to a simple colour scheme which consist of "blue, while, red". decided to make the style of my double page spread different to my front cover and contents; as i am simplifying it as i want it to look quite formal. i arranged my article into two columns with a headline and stand first, as i decided to follow the conventions

first draft of double page spread i had to change it. as i had done a survey on which photo was more suitable for my double page spread

-it was said by my follow class mates that this photo looks more like a front cover image.

-many people said that this photo is  much better and suitable for a double page spread, and has a higher quality

i followed some conventions from this double page spread

No comments:

Post a Comment